Dynamic Parameter Functionality
Dynamic Graphics are powerful when combined with a dynamic data strategy where you can leverage data to automatically populate content within graphics. "Dynamic Parameters" are tags that can be inserted within graphics which reference data and tell you what data will be inserted into a graphic.
- Leverage Metadata from Assets: Dynamic parameters can pull data from video, playlist, and block metadata, and you can also configure video-level Custom Attribute metadata to be pulled into graphics as well.
- Previewing Graphics: When you preview a graphic with a parameter, you will see a string of placeholder text that will be replaced when the graphic is output. It is important to consider using the "Width" field to determine the maximum width of a text layer, as variable data might be shorter or longer than the placeholder string.
- Dynamic Data Changes as Content on Timeline Changes: A single graphic can be places over multiple timeline assets and the data will automatically change as the underlying asset changes.
- Graphics Hidden if Data is Missing: If data that a dynamic parameter is referencing is missing for an asset, the graphic will be hidden altogether. This prevents incomplete or incorrect graphics from displaying to viewers.
- Nested Asset Functionality: You can select whether dynamic data in graphics is generated from videos, playlists, or blocks. If a video is within a playlist or block and you select data from a video, then the data from the nested video asset will display.
Data Available for Dynamic Parameters
You can leverage multiple metadata fields to power an advanced graphics strategy.
Asset Types: The following assets types can be leveraged for data:
Positions: The following positions of assets on timeline can be leveraged, as determined at the frame a graphic is to be inserted on the timeline:
Metadata Fields: The following metadata fields can be populated within graphics:
- Custom Attributes (must be configured upfront as described below)
Inserting Dynamic Parameters
To insert a Dynamic Parameter, simply type "@" with the Text box of the Text layer of a graphic. When you type "@", a dropdown of parameter options will appear. If you continue to type, the options in the dropdown will be filtered based on the text you enter.
Clicking on a parameter from the dropdown will insert a parameter tag within the Text entry field. Typing backspace will delete the parameter if needed.
Configuring Custom Attributes
Custom Attribute metadata stored in the Zype Streaming Platform CMS can be leveraged in dynamic graphics. To access Custom Attributes, you must configure the attribute on a per-channel basis upfront before it will be visible as an option as an option in the graphics text input field.
First determine the Name of the attribute you want to leverage in graphics. In this example the attribute name is Author. You can see this field in the Details page of an individual video asset in the Library of Streaming Platform.
Next in the Graphics tab of the Channel Configuration page within Playout you must toggle "Enable Custom Attributes in Dynamic Parameters" to "Enabled".
Finally you can type the Name of the custom attribute you want to leverage. Note you must fully type the attribute exactly how it appears in the CMS. Once you are done typing, click Enter. Click Save at the bottom of the page when you are done.
Now when you go back to edit your graphic, you will see the custom attribute you added as a parameter option. Note custom attributes can only be used on video assets.