This guide acts as complementary documentation to Creating an Roku App using the Zype Template. The purpose of this article is to guide Zype users through configuring Marketplace Connect in the Roku app template. This article covers updating the Roku app template, setting up in-app purchases in the Roku marketplace, and testing the Roku app prior to public release.
Note: This article covers transaction purchases only.
- Unlock Marketplace Connect
- Configuring Roku App Template
- Set up In-App Products on Roku Developer Dashboard
Unlock Marketplace Connect
If you have not already done so, please contact Zype to unlock Marketplace Connect. You can do so with the Contact Zype to learn more button under the Marketplace Connect Setup tab under Make Money -> Purchase & Rental Settings.
After Marketplace Connect has been enabled, you can go back to your Purchase & Rental Settings to add your Default Marketplace ID for Roku. This it the default product id that will be associated with your video purchases.
Configuring Roku App Template
At the moment, the Roku app requires manual setup in the code before it configured for Native TVOD.
Inside the source/config.json file, update the native_tvod flag from false to true. The flag is false by default.
Set up In-App Products on Roku Developer Dashboard
In order to set up your In-App Products on Roku Developer Dashboard, you will need to do the following:
1. Have a Roku Developer account enrolled in Roku's Partner Payouts Program. This is required if you monetize your content with Roku. You can start the process for enrollment by going to Developer dashboard -> My Developer Info -> Payment Information. Once you are enrolled in Roku's program you can create In-App Products.
2. Create a One-Time Purchase, Consumable. The Roku app only supports the use of 1 consumable at the moment. The same consumable will be used for all video purchases.
To create a new In-App Product you can go to Manage In-Channel Products page and click the Add a Product button.
- The Channel should be set the to Roku app that you want the IAP to be available on
- The Product Name is the display name of the product when the user is about to purchase the IAP. It is recommended that the name be more general as this will appear on all video purchases
- The Identifier should match the Marketplace Connect ID that you put under your Purchase & Rental Settings
- The Purchase Type should be One-Time Purchase, Consumable - Quantity
- The Quantity should be 1
- Cleared for Sale should be set to Yes. The IAP will not appear otherwise
- Price Tier is whatever you want to charge for your video. Note: there is no correlation between the price you set on Roku marketplace vs the other marketplaces
3. After creating your IAP, you should provide Zype with your Roku API Key. This is needed to allow Zype access to validate Roku receipts on your behalf. Once Zype can validate the receipt, it will entitle the user to the video on the Zype platform. To find your Roku API Key, go to: Developer dashboard -> Web API Settings -> Roku API Key
4. Once you have created your IAP and provided Zype with your Roku API Key, your Roku app should be configured for Native TVOD. Remember to select "My channel contains in-channel one-time purchases." under Monetization when you are in the submission process.