Millions of people stream content through Roku each day making it the most popular device Zype customers choose to distribute through. Zype's Roku app builder template makes it easy for you to build, customize, and distribute your content to your audience while providing the best possible user experience. This section provides recommendations to help you structure and monetize your content to best reach your video business goals. You'll also find guidelines to successfully test and submit your app to the Roku marketplace.
If you are building an app for the first time, visit our Introduction to Applications and Distribution for tips on monetizing your content, features and capabilities to optimize your app, and branding your app to build an optimal user experience.
Before you can preview, test and submit your Roku application, there are a few things you need to set up in your Zype account. Start by making sure the following items are complete:
1. Import your content into your Zype library
2. Add video details to content
3. Organize your videos into Playlists
4. Create Playlist Relationships (see example image below)
This is what the above playlist structure will look like to the end user on the Roku channel:
If you plan to monetize your content on the Roku channel, first visit our Monetization section to learn about our supported monetization types.
Note: Monetizing your content is optional and not required in order to submit your app to the Roku marketplace.
Now that you've completed the Zype setup, you're ready to move forward with building and submitting a Roku app.
The purpose of this checklist is to outline the key steps that need to be taken before successfully submitting a Roku channel.
To download a PDF version, visit the link at bottom of page.
1. Purchase a Roku Device
2. Create a Roku Developer Account
2.1. Complete Billing Services Program Enrollment (Step 5 of the Roku Developer Account Setup above)
3. Create and Prepare Roku Image Assets
4. Complete the Roku App Builder Template Flow in Zype Account
Sideload and Test
Once you've successfully completed the Roku App Builder Template flow in your Zype account, you need to test it out to make sure everything works as expected.
5. Unlock Roku Developer Mode on Roku Device
5.1. Sideload Your App to Preview (Step 4 of the documentation)
Package and Submit
After you have tested your app and are satisfied with the end result, it's time to package and submit the app to the Roku marketplace for approval!
7. Generate a Signing Key (Step 2 and 3 of the documentation)
8. Package Your Sideloaded Channel (Step 2 of the documentation)
For detailed instructions of the submission process, visit Roku's documentation HERE.
Was this article helpful?
Articles in this section
- Introduction to Roku
- Roku Developer Account Setup
- Roku App Images
- Creating a Roku App using the Zype Template
- Configuring Marketplace Connect (SVOD) on Roku
- Configuring Marketplace Connect (TVOD) on Roku
- Creating Native Subscription in Roku
- Previewing Your Channel on a Roku Device
- Roku QA Checklist
- Submitting a Roku App