The Zype REST API allows you to develop an iOS application that can play your Zype-hosted videos. It comes complete with detailed documentation to guide you in your application development efforts, not only on iOS but also on the Android mobile platform. With it, you can also develop custom apps for third-party platforms such as Amazon Fire TV, Roku, XBox, and PlayStation 4. If you have an existing iOS app, you can also integrate it with the platform using Zype's REST API.
The Zype REST API allows you to:
- Quickly build set-top apps without having to worry about content management, ingestion, or transcoding.
- Segment your applications and core data security.
- Provide authentication to your users with a standards-based API using OAuth.
- Manage device activations using universal sign-in.
- Learn about how your apps are used with enhanced player analytics per app.
Before creating your app, you should have the following things on hand.
- Images to be used for the app (Zype provides guidelines for preparing images on each app platform).
- The content structure, or playlists, of your videos, as set up on your Zype account.
- Optionally, you should already have configured monetization for your videos.
- In case you are going for custom development and publishing, you should also have developer resources on your team.
If you do not have any development experience or access to developer resources, you can discuss your need for technical services with your Zype Account Executive.
To start developing an iOS app for playing your Zype videos, follow the steps below.
On the Zype navigation menu, click Manage Apps.
On the Manage Apps page, click Create an App.
On the Create an App page, click iOS.
On the Create an iOS App Profile page, click Create iOS App Profile.
Zype then creates your iOS app profile, allowing you to authenticate to the Zype platform and track your player requests. Zype also generates your OAuth ID to be used for authenticating your consumers, getting the videos from the platform, and displaying them on your app.
Click the Manage your App button to view examples of how to connect your iOS app to the Zype API.
Click the View Credentials link to view or copy the OAuth credentials for authenticating to the Zype platform.
For more information on customizing your iOS app for the Zype platform, see Branding your iOS App: Images and Specs.
For more information on setting up monetization for your video content, see Getting Started with Monetization.