The Zype REST API allows you to develop an application that can play your Zype-hosted videos on Android. It comes complete with detailed documentation to guide you in your application development efforts, not only on Android but also on iOS. With it, you can also develop custom apps for third-party platforms such as Amazon Fire TV, Roku, XBox, and PlayStation 4. If you have an existing Android app, you can also integrate it with the platform using Zype's REST API.
The Zype REST API allows you to:
- Quickly build set-top apps without having to worry about content management, ingestion, or transcoding.
- Segment your applications and core data security.
- Provide authentication to your users with a standards-based API using OAuth.
- Manage device activations using universal sign-in.
- Learn about how your apps are used with enhanced player analytics per app.
Before creating your app, you should have the following items complete or prepped:
- The content structure (playlists) of your videos set up in your Zype account.
- Monetization configured for your videos. For full details on Monetization options, visit our Monetization page HERE.
- Images to be used for the app. Asset requirements list can be found HERE.
- Developer resources on hand for custom development and publishing (this is available on some apps and is optional). View Zype's Partner Marketplace for partner options.
To start developing an Android mobile app for your Zype videos, follow the steps below.
On the Zype navigation menu, click Manage Apps.
On the Manage Apps page, click Create an App.
On the Create an App page, click Android.
On the Create an Android App Profile page, click Create Android App Profile.
Zype then creates your Android app profile, allowing you to authenticate to the Zype platform and track your player requests. Zype also generates your OAuth ID to be used for authenticating your consumers, getting the videos from the platform, and displaying them on your app.
Click the Manage your App button to view examples of how to connect your Android app to the Zype API.
Click the View Credentials link to view or copy the OAuth credentials for authenticating to the Zype platform.
For more information on customizing your Android app, see Branding your Android Mobile App: Images and Specs.
For more information on setting up monetization for your video content, see Getting Started with Monetization.