The Zype REST API allows you to develop an application for playing your Zype-hosted videos on smart TVs. It comes complete with detailed documentation to guide you in your application development efforts on smart TVs and various other platforms, including iOS, Amazon Fire TV, Roku, XBox, and PlayStation 4.
The Zype REST API allows you to:
- Quickly build set-top apps without having to worry about content management, ingestion, or transcoding.
- Segment your applications and core data security.
- Provide authentication to your users with a standards-based API using OAuth.
- Manage device activations using universal sign-in.
- Learn about how your apps are used with enhanced player analytics per app.
Before creating your app, you should have the following things on hand.
- Images to be used for the app (Zype provides guidelines for preparing images on each app platform).
- The content structure, or playlists, of your videos, as set up on your Zype account.
- Optionally, you should already have configured monetization for your videos.
- In case you are going for custom development and publishing (available on some apps), you should also have developer resources on your team.
If you do not have any development experience or access to developer resources for creating a Smart TV app, you can discuss your need for technical services with your Zype Account Executive.
To start developing a Smart TV app for your Zype videos, follow the steps below.
On the Zype navigation menu, click Manage Apps.
On the Manage Apps page, click Create an App.
On the Create an App page, click Smart TV.
On the Create a Smart TV Profile page, click Create Smart TV App Profile.
Zype then creates your Smart TV app profile, allowing you to authenticate to the Zype platform and track your player requests. Zype also generates your OAuth ID to be used for authenticating your consumers, getting the videos from the platform, and displaying them on your Smart TV app.
Click the Manage your App button to view examples of how to connect your smart TV app to the Zype API.
Click the View Credentials link to view or copy the OAuth credentials for authenticating to the Zype platform.
To know more about Zype's REST API and see how it can help in your application development efforts, see the Zype Developer Portal.
For more information on customizing your Smart TV app, see Branding your Smart TV App: Images and Specs.
For more information on setting up monetization for your video content, see Getting Started with Monetization.